Are you wondering if you really need to worry about ac maintenance? If you want to keep your ac system running smoothly and efficiently, we highly recommend annual or bi-annual maintenance! In fact, we suggest you schedule your Clean and Check early.
You wouldn’t drive your car 100,000 miles without changing the oil. The same logic holds true for your home comfort system. Regular preventative maintenance on your air conditioning and heating system is the best way to ensure trouble-free operation and peak performance. Pre-season maintenance is also important. It will help to avoid a system failure in severe hot or cold weather when you need it most. It will also keep your energy bill from getting out of control. Here are some air conditioning maintenance tips from Trane.
When Should You Do Air Conditioning Maintenance?
The old adage is true: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Below you’ll find our Preventative Maintenance Checklist, which is our proven method to keep your air conditioning and heating systems operating smoothly and your home in constant comfort.
- For a system that heats and cools: perform maintenance in the spring and fall.
- Cooling only: perform maintenance at least once a year, before the cooling season.
- Heating only: perform maintenance at least once a year, before the heating season.
Home-Tech suggests customers do an annual or bi-annual preventative maintenance on their air conditioning to ensure that your system runs as efficiently as possible. You can count on Home-Tech to perform the following tasks, depending on the unit:
Outdoor Air Conditioning Units
- Inspect unit for proper refrigerant level and adjust if necessary
- Clean dirt, leaves and debris from inside cabinet
- Inspect base pan for restricted drain openings—remove obstructions as necessary
- Coil and cabinet—clean as needed
- Inspect fan motor and fan blades for wear and damage—on older models lubricate as needed
- Check control box, associated controls/accessories, wiring and connections. Controls may include contractors, relays, circuit boards, capacitors, sump heat and other accessories. All control box and electrical parts should be checked for wear or damage.
- Inspect compressor and associated tubing for damage
Indoor Air Conditioning Units
- Inspect and clean blower assembly (includes blower housing, blower wheel and motor)
- On older models, lubricate motor and inspect and replace fan belt if needed
- Check combustion blower housing for lint and debris and clean as necessary
- Look over evaporator coil, drain pan and condensate drain lines. Clean as needed
- Inspect for gas leaks in gas furnaces
- Burner assembly—clean and adjust as needed
- Ignition system and safety controls—clean and adjust as needed
- Inspect heat exchanger or heating elements
- Flue system—check for proper attachment to the furnace, any dislocated sections, and for signs of corrosion. Replace if necessary.
- Inspect control box, associated controls, wiring and connections
- Clean or replace air filters
- Inspect conditioned airflow system (ductwork)—check for leaks
- Monitor system starting characteristics and capabilities
- Listen for abnormal noise
- Search for source of unusual odors
- Monitor air conditioning and heat pump systems for correct refrigerant charge
- Check outdoor dry bulb temperature
- Measure indoor dry and wet bulb temperature
- Check high and low side system pressures
- Monitor gas furnace for correct line and manifold gas pressure—make adjustments as needed
- Measure temperature rise and adjust airflow as needed
- Check vent system for proper operation
- Monitor system for correct line and load volts/amps
- Monitor system operation per manufacturer’s specifications
- Provide system operation report and recommend repairs or replacement as necessary
Time to Schedule a Clean and Check
Don’t wait for an air conditioning problem, prevent it! Schedule a Clean and Check on your heating and cooling systems with Home-Tech. Our professional, reliable and clean cut air conditioning technicians will provide a thorough and complete maintenance check. You can count on Home-Tech to be your comfort specialists. Schedule your ac clean and check online or call us today! 800-800-8356