It’s common to open your refrigerator, pinch your nose and wonder where that terrible smell is coming from. When you have an odor free, clean refrigerator, you end up much happier with less headaches. Thanks to our friends at HGTV.com, we have provided you with a few helpful tips and tricks to keeping a clean refrigerator.
Top 10 Secrets to a Clean Refrigerator
- Keep your refrigerator at 37° – 40° to keep from wasting energy and having your food go bad.
- Crumple up a brown paper grocery bag and leave it inside your fruite and veggie bins for 48 hours. The paper will absorb the odors.
- Make homemade cleaner by combining the following in a gallon of hot water: 1 cup clear ammonia, ½ cup vinegar and ¼ cup baking soda. Put it in a spray bottle, or use from a bowl with a sponge. You won’t have to rinse and it destroys grease. You can wipe down the entire fridge with this solution, including the drawers and shelves.
- Check for adequate tightness of the unseating seam around the door by placing a lighted flashlight inside the fridge and closing the door. Turn the lights off in the room, and see if any light escapes from the seams. If you see light, you will need to call Home-Tech for a refrigerator repair.
- Toothpaste works to remove tough stains from the inside of your refrigerator and it smells good too.
- Try buffing paste wax into the surface of your refrigerator to prevent grease and odor buildup on the top of the refrigerator after cleaning. (This is not recommended for stainless steel surfaces).
- For a fast odor fix sprinkle vanilla or orange extract on a few cotton balls. Place them in a shallow dish inside the fridge.
- Any dust bunnies under the fridge? Remove the grill and run a yardstick covered with a pair of pantyhose underneath. Also, make sure to check the pan of water underneath the refrigerator, as it may have some stinky water in it.
- Dust off the coils on the back of your refrigerator every six months. Dirtier coils cause the refrigerator to use more energy to keep your food cold.
- If you don’t keep a full refrigerator, fill a gallon jug with water and leave it in the refrigerator. This will help keep the refrigerator cool and efficiently running.
Refrigerator Care – Best Practices
If your fridge is on the fritz call Home-Tech. Our expertly trained appliance repair technicians can fix your refrigerator quickly and effectively. Home-Tech can repair all brands and models of refrigerators, and with 90 vehicles on the road every day, there is always a technician close by. Don’t delay your refrigerator repair, call today to have a technician diagnose your appliance problems at 800-800-8356.