Every day new customers become Members with a Home-Tech Service Agreement. Hundreds of homeowners in SW Florida check into our GOLD and Silver Service Agreements and get a FREE Quote every month. There are a lot of Service Agreement questions. We consulted with our CEO, Steve Marino, the originator of the Service Agreement product, and also the Service Agreement Department to get the answers.
Most Commonly Asked Service Agreement Questions
Is Home-Tech a locally based company?
Does Home-Tech provide the option of a payment plan?
Can I choose which appliances to cover? I have new kitchen appliances but will be replacing our other equipment. Do you offer a Service Agreement for individual appliances?
My appliances are older. Why should I purchase a Service Agreement?
- Over 50% of the repairs requiring parts made by Home-Tech are on units 10 years and older. Many of these repairs would not be made by the homeowner if they had to pay the full retail price, which forces upon the homeowner the inconvenience and cost of a replacement unit.
- When an older unit fails how would they know if it can be repaired, or if it’s time to replace? The service call with some diagnostic time (covered under the Service Agreement) would generally cost over $130.
- Probably the most cost saving benefit, as a Service Agreement Member you have access to Home-Tech’s Member Appliance Center where you can replace your non-repairable appliance at “Cost Discount”. That’s a purchase at our cost, which includes standard delivery & installation.
We have “newer” equipment. Why would we need a Service Agreement? These appliances should last for at least 8 – 10 years, right?
Are older appliances covered for replacement?
On older appliances, are you just going to tell me they need to be replaced verses doing a repair?
Why do you need to know the age of some equipment? How does that effect my price?
So how do you determine the unit’s value?
It’s all about Average Lifetime Expectancy (ALE). Home-Tech uses 4 resources to determine the average:
- The “National American Home Builders” report (NAHB)
- “Annual Portrait US Appliance Industry” report
- “Demesne Research” report
- 40 years of Home-Tech historical data
We already have a “Maintenance Policy” with another company. Why would we need a Home-Tech Service Agreement?
Most Air Conditioning companies offer some type of “Maintenance Contract” which ONLY includes annual or biannual maintenance of your AC unit. We call these “Clean and Checks.” These Maintenance Contracts may also include some type of parts discounts sold primarily to get their Technician in the door to sell something. Maintenance Contracts ARE NOT full parts and labor coverage Service Agreements, like Home-Tech’s!
Maintenance Contracts have:
NO licensing requirements
NO consumer protection
NO priority service
NO emergency service
NO parts coverage
NO material coverage
NO labor coverage
Will you work on appliances and AC’s on a COD basis?
Will a COD customer get the same consideration as a Service Agreement Member?
I can’t stay at home all day waiting for service. What are your time frames? How long does it take to repair a unit after a technician arrives?
My spouse and I both work. Do you run late night or weekend service? Will there be an extra charge for that?
I am only here part time. My appliances aren’t used enough to spend the money on a Service Agreement.
Home-Tech has thousands of Service Agreement Members who are part-time residents. Why do they become Members?
MORE repairs are required on idle appliances. (Home-Tech’s busiest season is October/November due to returning homeowners finding inoperable appliances.) So, more usage does not dictate breakdowns with major appliances.
Your Air Conditioning System DOES operate all year long. Your AC system is not a convenience; it’s a necessity in Southwest Florida. Throughout our history we have seen thousands of damaged homes due to mold, mildew or water as a result of a failed AC system. Our suggestions for part-time residents are:
- Have your AC system cleaned and checked before you leave – which is included in our Service Agreements.
- A Service Agreement will address any breakdowns in your absence.
- Make arrangements with a local “home watcher”, friend or family member to check in on your home regularly. When problems are found they know who to call, even in your absence.
I used your company a few years ago and had a bad experience with a repair. It took the technicians multiple trips to fix our (appliance). Will I run into the same problem again?
This situation is the exception and not the rule at Home-Tech. There are many reasons for “multiple trips” or “return calls”:
- misdiagnosis or incomplete diagnosis
- defective replacement parts
- wrong parts ordered or received
- factory issues
Return calls are a reality in the service business. Home-Tech’s “return call” percentage falls between 3% to 6%. This is extremely low in the in-home service businesses. Our low percentage rate of return calls is a direct result of our commitment to continuing education. We strive for perfection, but the reality is we’re close.
Do the technicians carry most of the parts on their trucks?
My appliances are high end. Do you replace with the same high end type?
Why does Home-Tech require an inspection of an Air Conditioning system 8 years of age and older when purchasing the AC Equipment Purchase Option (AC-EPO)?
When replacing a covered appliance, whether free (under 10 years) or at Cost Discount (10 years and over), do you replace it with the same brand?
We hope these Service Agreement questions and answers have been helpful. If you wish to learn more or have additional questions please call our Service Agreement Department at (800) 800-8356 ext. 3. Our experts will be happy to speak to you. If you’re looking for a FREE Service Agreement quote, you can get one by entering your street address and zip code into our pricing form. Just click the button to get started!