Did you know that indoor air pollution is among the top five environmental health risks? So then why aren’t indoor comfort systems stressed upon more? Well, unlike cooling, heating and air distribution, it’s difficult to measure the benefits of air quality. You may not realize how important indoor air quality is, which is why I’m here to tell you how an air filtering system can benefit you and which ones Home-Tech recommends.
Pet Dander and Dust Mites and Allergens, Oh My!
Think about all the little things you do each day. Maybe you use cologne/perfume, brush your pet, sweep your kitchen and cough or sneeze a couple times. These actions may not seem like a lot, but the products of these actions really add up. Most tasks or functions release something into the air, even if you can’t see it. However, most homeowners replace their disposable air conditioning filter with a cheap one purchased from their local hardware store. What people don’t realize is how necessary a good filter is for your health and overall comfort. Quality filters keep the fumes, pet hair, dust particles and germs from recycling back into the air you breathe.
Filter Ratings – An Important Part of Indoor Air Quality
In the past, indoor air quality has mostly been emphasized to individuals with asthma or allergies. However, it’s recently been appreciated by all individuals for keeping the germs and yucky air particles out of our airways. Now that you know this information, you may be wondering how to choose an efficient filter.
The Minimal Efficiency Reporting Value or “MERV” rating compares filter efficiency on a scale from 1-20. The higher the MERV rating, the more efficient the filter is at trapping airborne particles. The experts at Home-Tech have created a guide so you can better understand the types of filters that are available to you.
GOOD1" Pleated Filter
BETTER5" Pleated Filter
BESTElectronic Air Cleaners
- Centralized system filter
- Removes microscopic impurities
- A “must” for allergy or asthma sufferers
- Must be professionally cleaned annually
- Located at air handler unit
Recommended Indoor Air Purification Systems
REME HALO® Whole Home In-Duct Air Purifier
- Dual ionizers to reduce airborne particulates (dust, dander, pollen, mold spores)
- Kills up to 99% of bacteria, mold and viruses
- REME® reduces sneeze germs by 99% in the time a sneeze can reach three feet.
- New zinc ions kill 99% of viruses on surfaces
- Unlike portable units that are limited to the room in which they are placed, the REME HALO® provides whole home and building purification
- Easily integrated with your existing HVAC system. The unit doesn’t take away living space and operates silently
- Two (2) quick release features for easy, no tool, cell replacement
- Incorporates an adjustable shroud around the REME® cell, which allows customization of the advanced oxidation plasma output
RGFClear Sky DM®
- Easy Installation (no tools required, magnetic mounting)
- Low voltage 24 VAC 50/60Hz input
- Designed for use within HVAC systems up to 2,400 CFM or 6 tons
- MAINTENANCE FREE – Continuous sonic self-cleaning ion emitters
- Very low energy consumption (only 1 watt)
- Reduces Bacteria, Molds, and Viruses
- Reduces Odors and Particulates
- Whole House Quad-Polar Ionization Unit
- Improves Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) of treated spaces
Tech Pure® Germicidal UV Air Purification
- Neutralizes pathogens, viruses, bacteria, mildew and mold
- Operates continually 24/7 disinfecting cooling coils, drain pans and duct surfaces
- 100% ozone free
- New, extended-life, 18,000-hr UV lamp
- Parabolic reflector lamp shield
- Water resistant lamp connections
- Custom magnetic bracket offers remote mount capability
- Quick disconnect lamp connection enable easy lamp replacement
HVAC Systems and COVID-19
There are many unknowns regarding COVID-19. One area of concern for many people is if COVID-19 spreads through HVAC systems. How concerned should you be about contracting the virus due to your air conditioning system at home? It’s a great question, and we’re lucky enough to have resources like the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) to help find credible answers.
The ACCA puts our minds at ease by explaining that if your home is virus-free, it should stay that way. Your HVAC system won’t grow the virus organically on evaporator coils, duct surfaces or other system parts. People assume that because viruses travel through air currents, they’ll float into the HVAC system and then spread throughout the building. The reality, however, is that these particles have a hard time making their way through a good system.
So then that brings us to the question: what is a “good” system? The ACCA put together some guidelines to follow during this trying time. Here are the four main HVAC system suggestions to follow now and in the future.
- Maintenance: Because the virus has been proven to be somewhat fragile, thorough cleaning can remove any germs that may have accumulated in the system.
- Filtration: Make sure you have the highest-rated MERV filter your system will accommodate. It’s important that you don’t compromise on airflow, while also ensuring that your filter does its job by filtering out particles that may contain the virus.
- UVC Treatment: A recent study showed that the virus will most likely die off after being exposed to UV light for 20 seconds. This is why UVC light systems are highly recommended, especially right now.
- Ventilation: Fresh air dilutes airborne concentrations of a virus, so make sure your home HVAC system is properly ventilated so it can do what it’s designed to do. Your indoor air quality will improve greatly if it’s being used properly!
RGF Regarding COVID-19
RGF is known for manufacturing over 500 environmental products and providing the world with the safest air without the use of chemicals. Because of this, there’s been an influx of questions regarding RGF® PHI-Cell® and REME HALO® Technology’s impact on Novel Coronavirus. Home-Tech has highlighted some of RGF’s most frequently asked questions regarding their COVID-19 developments, which you can read more in depth on their website.
Neither RGF’s PHI-Cell® nor REME HALO® has testing specifically on COVID-19, because there are a limited number of facilities available for testing. They are evaluating different testing options with partners in the U.S. and China, but understand the priority for testing is placed on human outbreaks. Because of this, RGF® does not have testing specifically on COVID-19, but they’ve validated test results showing 99+% reductions on similar viruses.
It should be noted, however, that many hospitals have approved and installed PHI-Cell® and REME HALO® products throughout their facilities. RGF-BioControls® is designed and proven to reduce risks associated with airborne infectious pathogens like COVID-19 in hospital settings.
“This virus apparently is similar to other viruses that we previously tested. There is every reason to believe that RGF technologies would be effective in reduction of COVID-19.” – Dr. Marsden (KSU)
Contact Home-Tech Today
Home-Tech offers a variety of indoor air purification systems, so you can choose which one is right for your needs! Breathing in clean air is very important, especially nowadays. Contact us to request more information about indoor air quality.