Do you have multiple homes that you stay at during different times of the year? As a seasonal resident, do you worry about your vacant home? By hiring a home watch company, these worries will go away and allow you to fully enjoy the moment.
You may think that you have security cameras or a dependable neighbor who walks by your home periodically and therefore have no need for a professional home watch company. However, this doesn’t give you any information on what’s going on inside the house. Did the air conditioner stop working? Is your water heater leaking? Does your refrigerator need a repair before you arrive back home for the season? These are valuable questions a home watch company can help give you the answers to.
“Who Can I Trust?”
This question is both common and well-warranted. There are all kinds of scammers and people who take advantage of vulnerability out there. The last thing you need is someone who doesn’t have your best interest at heart while you’re a long car ride or flight away. So, how should you choose a home watch company? Our friends at Your Home Watch Professionals® put together a list of credentials you should know before giving someone your keys:
- Is the company/person trained? There is, in fact, training for home watching.
- Do they have a “real”, fully credentialed business? Is it an individual you found online or is it a legitimate business with someone in charge if things go south?
- Does the company have insurance? If they’re legit, they’ll have insurance. After all, they’re watching people’s homes, not just watering plants.
- Are they background checked? This one often gets overlooked when you depend on your neighbor’s teenager to check on things while you’re gone. There’s nothing wrong with trusting your neighbor, but why place something as important as your home in a neighbor’s hands for months at a time?
- Is this a business or a hobby? Does the person watching your home just enjoy getting some side cash while doing a walk-through of your home once a month or do they know exactly what to look for when consistently checking on your home?
If you’d like to learn more you can check out their Ultimate Home Watch Interview Guide for an extensive guide on finding the right home watch professional for you.
Diane Pisani, the founder of Your Home Watch Professionals®, does home watching the right way. She’s committed to establishing best practices and bringing a high level of professionalism to the home watch industry. She trains independently owned home watch Businesses through something called the Graduate Program.
Your Home Watch Professionals® and Home-Tech have many mutual clients. By utilizing both Your Home Watch Professionals® and a Home-Tech Service Agreement, you’re able to relax knowing if one of your major appliances or systems quit working while you were away, it will receive immediate attention.
You may be thinking, “if an appliance breaks, why can’t I just deal with it when I get back to town?” Well, appliances that aren’t fixed right away can often have more problems down the road. If your refrigerator stops working and is broken for four months without you knowing, it’ll be harder to fix once you do get around to it. Not to mention, if you didn’t see that one piece of food stuck in the back corner before you left, you’ll likely be met with a stinky surprise when you return home. By working together to fix the issue immediately, you won’t have a big problem on your hands when you get back to town.
If you choose to depend on a home watch service while you’re away, we also suggest investing in a Home-Tech Service Agreement. Having a Home Warranty with us will make things run smoothly if something does go wrong. No more realizing your stove doesn’t work as you try to cook a quick dinner after coming straight from the airport. No more walking in the door only to realize your AC broke while you were away and you now have to sleep in 87° discomfort. Your home will be in the same exact shape you left it in!